History of Our School
Sciennes School (pronounced Sheens) opened on 1st March 1892 with 500 pupils and 16 members of staff. By May 6th there were 1000 pupils on the roll. The school was formally opened on June 3rd by Lord Reay, with an opening ceremony which included a programme of music, swimming and gymnastics.
Today we are the largest primary school in Edinburgh with a roll of 640 in twenty one classes (three classes at each stage P1-P7) and 60 members of staff (including visiting specialists).
A convent dedicated to Saint Catherine of Sienna was established in 1517 by women whose husbands were killed in the Battle of Flodden. A plaque on the wall at 16 St Catherine's Place marks the site of this convent. Sciennes, Sheens, Sheans, Senis, Sienna and Scienne are all names that can be found on old maps of the area.